Friday, March 4, 2011

Braces Removal & Surgeon Visit

So yesterday my alarm went off at 5:30am and I hopped out of bed gladly knowing that in a few short hours I would be brace free!  The braces came off pretty painlessly.  They just crack them and pull them off....took about 5 minutes for that part.  The not fun part was the glue removal.  The tool they used to remove the glue sounded like a saw.  Easy to tolerate the uncomfortableness knowing it was to get all of that crap out of my mouth!  When I went to rinse my mouth out the first time I couldn't even look at my teeth for fear they were all yellow from all of the fabulousness I went through.  But when I did look I was shocked, they certainly are a bit dingy but not nearly as bad I expected.  And just like that, I was done.

I have clear retainers (think of invisalign looking retainers).  I will wear them all day for 30 days (except when I am eating and brushing my teeth), then just at night for a year.  You better believe that after all of this I will be following that request.

Then it was off to my surgeon's office, Dr Hitchcock.  This man seriously changed my life.  To say he is brilliant is the understatement of the year.  He tells you what needs to be done and doesn't sugar coat it.  But he also has an amazing bed side manner. I was prepared for a fight with the insurance, that didn't happen.  That could be attributed to the fact that my bite was so jacked up that the insurance company felt sorry for me, but I am guessing it was approved because the doctor's office was so thorough in the paperwork they submitted.   His office staff  is AMAZING (especially Jennifer), I have read horror stories of people loving their surgeon's but hating the office staff.

He said I am healing very well.  Most of my swelling is down but it may take up to a year of the residual swelling to go down. There seems to be a bit of swelling remaining around my nose area.  My range of motion was 34mm pre surgery (terrible),it is already 37mm now and I should expect that to get a bit better as I continue to heal.  If you ever read this Dr. Hitchcock, THANK YOU!

I also owe some sincere thanks to my husband.  A little over a year ago I decided one day I had just had enough with my bite and all of the problems associated with my bad bite and made an appointment with the ortho.  A week after my appointment, I had braces put on and then two weeks later I met with the surgeon.  It all happened so fast that I don't think he fully absorbed what I was going to do until we were in the hospital the day of surgery. We spent A LOT of money, as most people do who have to go through this surgery, to get things fixed.  His support was endless and I can't thank him enough. 

To my Mom and step-dad who took three weeks out of their life to come and stay with me to take care of me and my little ones, THANKS!  Recovering from this surgery is really a time when you want your Mommy, and I was no exception, even at the age of 35.  My step-dad spent a lot of time making me whatever soup/food I wanted.  He is an amazing cook and I took full advantage!  Not to mention he took care of my three kids as well when my mom and Josh were taking care of me.

My other major supporters, ones who always asked how I was doing/feeling etc, thank you as well.  (I feel like I am giving an Oscar acceptance speech-HA)! My dad made the big drive to Detroit for my surgery and always was checking on me and my step-mom was as well.  My friends who kept me sane via text messages when I couldn't talk.  Especially my two family members who are my biggest blog followers, Natalie and Aunt Janie.  And who could forget all of my blogger friends I have made along the way!  Couldn't have got through this without you!  :)

Not to worry, I will come back and post many pictures as soon as I get some makeup on!

8 comments:

  1. You look fabulous.
    I had a consult with Dr. Hitchcock, but ended somewhere else through no fault of his office. I have gotten a lot out of reading your story. I am concerned about healing because 1) I am also in my 30's. 2) I have a toddler, and 3) I don't have a lot of help.

    So you would answer "YES" to going through it all again?

    All the best -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so happy for you! Your teeth look pearly white! No dinginess at all. Good for you! How does it feel???? I'm nervous I'll be anxious w/out my braces..by that time they'll have been a part of me for two years! So glad you're so happy with your results...you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! SO excited for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello !

    I'm Régis from France, do you remember me ?
    Congretulations !!!
    Your teeth look so beautiful, so perfect !
    It's a really nice result.
    I can say that your smile looks like an Hollywood star's smile !!! I'm amazing !!!
    But, could you post some close up pics about all your teeth (with your back teeth) ?
    In your last answer to me, you wrote that you have lot of fillings and a few crown. Is it a problem with orthodontic treatment ?
    Do you plan to change your fillings (I suppose black) to white fillings ?

    Regards !

    Régis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your teeth look wonderfully healthy, white, and perfect!!! I'm very happy that you have this all behind you. Thanks for blogging-it really helps those of us who are still in the waiting stages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on completing your journey :) I am so jealous. It feels like just a few weeks ago that I was reading your 'just got out of surgery' blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy for you, Mandy! Your teeth look like they belong to a teenager! Nice and white and straight and perfect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandy, I am embarrassed to read my name in your Oscar speech ;) because I have been totally negligent in keeping up with your blog since the Holidays and coming to Mexico. You looked so fab at Christmas I kind of thought of the journey as pretty much complete. However I can notice a huge difference as the swelling continues to recede since I last saw you. And the teeth are Toothpaste ad perfect :). Congrats on getting the braces off and finishing this process. And also congrats on going back to Dayton as a new woman. :) Funny the whole thing took place after you left. Looking forward to seeing you in May before you move. Love, Aunt Janie (and Uncle Denny reads this too but is nit a poster- too bad there isn't a like button. That's about as far as he gets.)

    ReplyDelete